The History of Hounslow
The history of Hounslow dates back to the 13th century. In 1211 an order of friars came to England. This was where they built their first home. Much has occurred since this time. Also, the name Honeslauu appears within the Doomsday Book survey of 1086. The name means hounds and hills, basically.
The friars built a refuge for the sick and for those travelling through the area. The chapel building survived many centuries until it was replaced in the 1800s by the Holy Trinity Church. Over the years, the manor has been owned by many different families.
In 1225 the settlement appeared in historic records. This was discovered from the writings of Robert Fitzwalter. He wrote about a tournament that was to be held in the vicinity. In 1227 the area was officially claimed to be deforested. This means it is changed from forest to living ground.
On the first of the year in 1296, the friars received permission to have their weekly market. They also hosted an annual fair. This helped to stimulate trade and commerce in the town and allowed it to grow.
By the time the 16th century arrived, the town of Hounslow covered more than 4000 acres. During the English Civil War of the 17th century, the Battle of Brentford took place. Brentford was attacked and sacked but it was not occupied, as parliamentary forces eventually prevailed.