Information And History Of Wimbledon
The information and history of Wimbledon would not be complete without mentioning the world famous tennis tournament. However, this district of London goes back a long ways in time. In fact, people have lived here since the Iron Age.
The Doomsday Book of the 11th century mentioned this district as a part of Mortlake Manor. Over the centuries manor ownership has changed from family to family. However until the end of the 14th century the church owned the manor. After that it was owned by the crown until the mid 1500s.
By the 19th century Wimbledon was a thriving rural community that coexisted alongside all kinds of people in the London area. In 1838 the London and South Western Railway opened a station within the village. This changed the appearance of the town, as town growth shifted away from the original part of the village.
1877 saw the start of the tennis tournament. Twenty two men competed to raise funds for the ALL England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. By 1884 women were competing and a doubles tournament for men was added.
The first tennis super stars were William and Ernest Renshaw from Britain. Between the two of them they collected a total of 13 titles, in singles or doubles competition from 1881 to 1889. They came to be known as the "Renshaw Rush".
For wooden windows in Wimbledon please call us on 0800 689 9191
We are based in west London and are always happy to give tips and advice over the phone free of charge!
From sash windows to wooden doors we do it all!