Wooden windows, London and the ethics of replacing sash windows with windows made from materials other than timber
If you live in a property in London that has wooden windows or maybe you live in a house that would have originally had wooden sash windows fitted when first built then a common question for many homeowners is
“Why should I fit replacement timber sash windows, why not just go for Upvc windows like my neighbours?”
Well the truth of the matter is that unless you live in a conservation area or a listed building you can practically replace your current windows and doors with any window whether it be plastic, aluminium or indeed wood.
But which type of window is more ethical?
If your house was originally intended to have sash windows then it is fair to say that at least from an interior designer’s point of view you really ought to consider fitting sash windows. This will be more in keeping with the overall architectural integrity of the property and also sash windows are extremely desirable too!
When or if you ever sell the property then having sash windows will definitely make the property more interesting to any potential buyer.
But why wooden sash windows you may ask? Well, to be frank lets face it plastic sash windows look pretty tacky, regardless of what the salesmen might tell you.
Plastic windows or Upvc windows look like, well…Plastic
Wooden windows always look better in a period home and can even add substantial value to the property as well.
The very nature of timber even when it is painted just looks classier than any other window material, I mean can you imagine The White House in Washington DC or maybe even Buckingham Palace in west London having plastic windows?
You may note that both these period landmark buildings all have timber sliding sash windows fitted!
So it really is down to your own taste and refinement rather than ethics, but wood windows also have another quality that metal windows and plastic windows do not have.
Wood is an extremely good insulator; Think about it, ski lodges are built out of timber! Up there on the freezing slopes to this day most ski resorts will have log cabins fitted with double glazed WODDEN WINDOWS
Wood out performs any modern window manufacturing material on the thermal insulating meter so why would you consider fitting any other type of window other than wood windows?
So in short
- Wooden windows look better than plastic windows
- Wooden windows out perform plastic windows
- Wooden windows and Doors can last for over 300 years as has been proven, just check out the age of Buckingham Palace, it still retains the original wooden sash windows and wooden casement windows that it was fitted with when first built!
- Sash windows made from wood can be decorated as and when they start to dull, plastic windows just end up, well…Dull. Yes you can try to clean them with various chemicals and cleaning agents but in reality once they have aged more than 10 years or so they look very tired indeed.
- Wooden windows and Doors add value to your property, just go ask your estate agent for a house valuation and then ask him if your house would be worth more with double glazed sash windows fitted. Yep, you bet ya - He will most certainly tell you that wooden windows, whether they be sash windows or casement windows are going to add value and also make selling the property far easier.
- Wooden windows are ethical – There is so much demand for timber now that for every tree chopped down at least 5 more are planted. So you can rest easy that your windows made from wood have actually helped contribute to the global environment. More trees growing means less CO2 in the atmosphere, trees lap up CO2 and then convert it into pure oxygen “breathing” out oxygen and sucking up all that nasty CO2
- Wooden windows are environmentally friendly, sash windows look cool, timber is sustainable
- Manufacturing wooden windows uses less energy than plastic and metal windows combined, think about it for one minute. Plastic need to be produced (from oil) in a factory pumping out toxic fumes into the atmosphere. Wood grows naturally pumping out oxygen and zapping up CO2.
So it really is a no brainer when it comes to choosing which type of windows and doors you should have in your London home.
The Wooden Window Workshop London would love to hear from you and always give the most cost effective and ethical advice when trying to help its clients.
And please don’t be put off by our professionalism and fame, are prices are extremely good and our windows are the best in London
The best sash windows in London – The Wooden Window Workshop
Working in partnership with
Copyright ©2013 The Wooden Window Workshop
All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Site design by Colweb | Site Map
West London, South London, North London and Central London Since 1985
We provide our specialist services in all the following areas, please select your location area for more information:
For the past three years we have only ran a partial service in far out areas of East & Southern parts of London but for the first time in our long history and since January 2012
East London and South London now also fully covered!
Did you know that The Wooden Window Workshop also provide Exterior Decorating services?
For the Best Sash window repair service in London and Brighton call
The Wooden Window Workshop
0800 689 9191