The Wooden Window Workshop - Sash Window Restoration Service
With our Sash Window Workshop Based in Isleworth and Brentford we thought it would be nice to share a little of the local history with our visitors. 
The History of Hounslow
The history of Hounslow dates back to the 13th century. In 1211 an order of friars came to England. This was where they built their first home. Much has occurred since this time. Also, the name Honeslauu appears within the Doomsday Book survey of 1086. The name means hounds and hills, basically.
The friars built a refuge for the sick and for those travelling through the area. The chapel building survived many centuries until it was replaced in the 1800s by the Holy Trinity Church. Over the years, the manor has been owned by many different families.
In 1225 the settlement appeared in historic records. This was discovered from the writings of Robert Fitzwalter. He wrote about a tournament that was to be held in the vicinity. In 1227 the area was officially claimed to be deforested. This means it is changed from forest to living ground.
On the first of the year in 1296, the friars received permission to have their weekly market. They also hosted an annual fair. This helped to stimulate trade and commerce in the town and allowed it to grow.
By the time the 16th century arrived, the town of Hounslow covered more than 4000 acres. During the English Civil War of the 17th century, the Battle of Brentford took place. Brentford was attacked and sacked but it was not occupied, as parliamentary forces eventually prevailed.
A few years later in 1647 the army of Oliver Cromwell camped in the town, before heading into London. For three years from 1685 until 1688, James II used the town as a summer camp each season. While the camp was there, a market was held for each day. The next year a license was granted to hold a fair on the first 12 days of May. May first and second were for horse selling. May third and fourth were for cattle. The rest of the days were reserved for selling goods.The 18th century saw the Hounslow Manor purchased by Whitelocke Bulstrade in 1705. In 1724 four alms houses were built. An almshouse is a charity sponsored home for the poor. This included orphans and widows. In 1740 the Princess and Prince of Wales visited the army camp in the area. 1784 saw the first Royal Mail Coach service passed through the region on its way from Bath to London. In 1793 army barracks were built for the cavalry.In 1809 the gibbets were taken down. Gibbets are gallows where the executed may be hung as a warning to others. Nine years later the Heston Mill was built in 1818. 1827 brought about the creation of the Chapel in Hanworth Road and the Holy Trinity Church opened in 1829.1858 saw the birth of the Middlesex chronicle and the first hospital appeared in 1875. The 20th century brought electric tram service in 1901, and the first bus station appeared in 1912. The Piccadilly underground railway came in 1933, and during WWII the first Trinity church was destroyed. 1965 saw Hounslow Borough created and in 1975 the Civic Centre came into being. 1987 saw the opening of the Treaty Shopping Centre, and the history of Hounslow is still being written in the 21st century
Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved Worldwide.