By 1633, York House was built and occupied by Edward Montagu, the 2nd Earl of Manchester.
Montagu lived in York House till 1656.
Edward Hyde, the 1st Earl of Clarendon eventually took over the area.
History records first mentioned the existence of the Ferry in 1659.
The 18th century brought in large scale gunpowder manufacturing to the region.
Most of the production was located near the River Crane between Whitton and Twickenham.
During that time, safety measures were not as efficient as today and there were many accidental deaths due to accidental explosions in the gunpowder factories.
One of the most horrific gunpowder accidents involved three mills that exploded in 1772.
The gunpowder industry remained operational until 1927.
The sites near the former gunpowder factories are now mostly composed of natural reserves.
Crane Park now occupies most of the factory sites today.
The 18th century also led to major land developments in the west side of the township that included the present day Staines and Hampton Roads, Middle Road, Workhouse Road, and the First-Fifth Cross Roads.
According to the history of Twickenham, in 1902, electricity was introduced to power the town.
With the advent of electric power, the first trams also arrived in the town after a year.
In the year 1939, the stone tower created by Christopher Wren with the 10 bells and stone cloisters were brought to the town after the All Hallows Lombard Street was torn down.
By 1926, the town was declared a municipal borough.